I tried a few different types of increases to see which ones looked best to create the fronts of the tentacles. In the end none of them gave me as much volume as I wanted. I just had to hope that cinching in the front by adding a headband would do the trick.
I drew up a pattern for the bottom 2/3rds of the hat, but for the rest, it was Napolean’s Plan (ala Casey on Sports Night). First we show up, then we see what happens. It just didn’t seem logical to plan the rest when I wasn’t sure how well the most complicated bit was going to go. I could adjust from there.
So I tried a few different ways to shape the back of the hat. One was once I got past the cabling bits, to join it into a round piece and try short rows. It worked great on one side and realllly badly on the other side. I don’t know whether it was because I was trying to do it at the K/P border or if my technique just sucked. So I scrapped that plan and knit the whole thing flat.